Pathways to Adulthood

Pathways to Adulthood

TeenagersPathways to Adulthood is the process of planning for a young person’s future.  Sometimes this process is called transition planning or transitions.

It is a process that can take place when a young person is between the ages of 14 and 25 years old.
My PathThe Pathways to Adulthood process is to set goals that you want to achieve as an adult and finding ways to meet those goals.

The Pathways to Adulthood process should consider all aspects of your life including: employment, education, housing, health, relationships, and being part of your community.




PlanPathways to Adulthood planning starts within schools for all young people with a Statement of Special Educational Needs or Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC).

Education, Health and Care plans (EHC) are gradually replacing Statements of Special Educational Needs.




TeamTransition Social Workers are based in the Community Team for People with Learning Disabilities (CTPLD).

To receive services from the Community Team for People with Learning Disabilities (CTPLD) you will need to meet the CTPLD eligibility criteria.

If you think you might be eligible please complete a referral form.



List of needsOnce we have received your referral we will contact you to arrange two different assessments:
1.  National Eligibility Determination Assessment (NED)
2.  Learning Disability Eligibility Assessment
These two assessments are usually completed at the same time and will be completed by two members of our team.
You are welcome to bring someone with you to help.  The assessments can be completed at your home or at another place to suit you.  The assessment will take up to an hour and a half to complete and then we will write to you to let you know the result.


Girl with thumbs upIf you are eligible for services from the Community Team for People with Learning Disabilities (CTPLD) you will be contacted to arrange further support.

If you are not eligible to receive services from the Community Team for People with Learning Disabilities (CTPLD) but are eligible for services from Social Care you will be referred to the most appropriate team to arrange further support.

Find out more about the eligibility assessment process.


My planIf your needs mean that you are eligible for a service from the Community Team for People with Learning Disabilities (CTPLD), a Transition Social Worker will work with you and your family to develop a support plan for your future and transition into adulthood. You will work together and agree how your needs can be met.

We will work closely with you and your family to apply for money from the Government to pay for the support you require and help arrange the services you will need.


GuidanceSpecial Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) is the name given to the information about education if you have a Special Educational Need.   For more information please visit the Government website.





Local offerThe Local Offer provides information for children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities and their families.





Picture of computer search facility.For more information about Pathways to Adulthood / Transitions please see our leaflet rack.

Other organisations and more information:

Council for Disabled Children (Transition Information Network)

Getting a Life
Helen Sanderson Associates
In Control   
Preparing for Adulthood 
Transition Support Programme
Working Families
Young Minds