Speaking up about Abuse and Neglect

Speaking up about Abuse and Neglect

ISafeguardingt is important that you feel safe wherever you are. Sometimes people do things that are wrong. If you feel that something is wrong the North Somerset Safeguarding Adults Team can help.






If someone is harming you NOW – you can call the Police by telephoning 999.






GuidanceThis is easy read information about:

– What abuse and neglect is.
– How to tell someone about it.
– What will happen if you tell someone.




Man on the phone

To discuss your concerns you can:

– Talk to your Social Worker.
– Talk to someone you can trust like a member of your family.
– Call Care Connect on 01275 888801.
– Call the Police on 101.



Frightened womanAbuse is when someone does something to you that you do not like.






Woman kneelingNeglect is when you are not given the care and support you need.






Group of adultsAn adult at risk is a person who:
– Is over 18.
– Has a mental illness, learning disability or physical disability.
– Has care and support needs.
– Cannot protect or speak up for themselves.


Two menAn abuser could be someone you know such as a member of your family, a care support worker, a friend or a house mate.





People in the communityAn abuser could also be someone you do not know such as a person in the community.





Physical abuseThere are different types of abuse and neglect:

Physical Abuse can include: hitting, pushing, scratching, kicking or biting.





Sexual abuseSexual Abuse can include: touching someone where they do not want to be touched.






Emotional abuseEmotional Abuse is when you are made to feel sad inside.






Financial abuseFinancial Abuse can include: taking your money or benefits without your permission.






Bruised handIf you are worried about somebody these are some of the signs you can look for:

– Bruising, cuts, scratches, black eyes or broken bones.
– The person may appear hungry or dirty.
– A person’s mood and behaviour may change, they could cry or become angry.
– The person may not have any money.
– The person may have an illness that has not been treated.


Social workerWhen you have spoken to someone a professional will contact you.  The professional will listen to you and ask you what you want to happen.

The professional will support you to do whatever needs to be done to sort out the situation and help you feel better.  This may include talking to other professionals.




GPYou may need to see a Doctor (GP) or a Police Officer.  You can choose someone to be with you as support.





To download a copy of this information please see the leaflet rack.